View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 11:33 PM   #50
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
So what do you do when you are 47, haven't really found a job you like or love for that matter and haven't really trained for anything other than some basic schooling?

That's where I'm at right now. Sucks to be this lost and not know where to go from here. My wife is right alongside me being a year older.

Now what?
If you really want an inspiring job that offers you major fulfillment in your life then I think it's a 3 step process really.

1. Identify what you love;

2. Take a leap of faith to go get it;

3. Persevere.

Pretty simple in theory, but as this thread attests to, no step is necessarily easy.

You may not have any burning career ambitions. You may not have any lifelong dreams. You may not know what you love to do. The best thing you can do is know yourself, and get a sense of what things bring you joy, and then attempt to identify a job or career that will have those elements.

The second step takes courage. Any career change entails huge risk - moreso if you have financial commitments, dependents, etc..

The third step takes more courage, and the will to keep going despite setbacks. Most people take the safe play at this point if not before.

But you know what?

You only live once.

And with some luck, someday you'll be an 80 year old guy who can either say "the best thing I ever did was..." or "it didn't work out, but I gave it my best shot..." rather than "I never liked what I did and I just wish I had..."

Maybe you and the wife should have a chat about where you are, where you'd like to be, and how you're going to make the journey from A to B. So long as you're in it together, it'll work out.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post: