View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yads View Post
I'd avoid the 3G and get the 3GS for the better hardware specs. Make sure it's either unlocked or it's a telus phone. I don't know about unlocking, my understanding is that it's pretty easy to get an unlock code from ebay and unlock it yourself if you're at all technically inclined. So if it's a Virgin/Bell/Rogers/AT&T iphone you'll have to unlock it.
You never have to pay to get an iPhone jail broken. There is always free software out there that will do it.

The only thing to keep in mind with jail breaking is that every time you upgrade the iPhone software through iTunes you will have to jail break the phone again. Typically it's pretty easy to do, but sometimes it takes the jail breaking community sometime to break the latest release. So always make sure there is a solution for the latest version before you upgrade.

It's always easier to buy a phone that is already locked to your network, but if you are a little more technically inclined you can go the jail breaking route. I had to jailbreak my iPhone for the past two and a half years and I only messed it up once (didn't read instructions properly). But the software has gotten a lot easier to use and it usually does everything in one click.

You should phone Telus and ask about early upgrades it might worth it to pay a little extra for the new iPhone. Otherwise get the 3GS and as yads said stay away from the 3G as it's pretty dated.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote