View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfrogger View Post
Yeah, after doing a few calculations, I find that gift cards are the best way to go. You can get between $0.12-$0.16 for each Air Mile. And the gift cards have very few catches. If I wouldn't buy an Air Miles reward for $0.12 x the number of Air Miles, I don't do it. In the case of flights, the math gets ridiculous.
no flights are by far the best value, just not to the common destinations. For some flights you can get upwards of .50$ per air mile. Of course if you don't fly to these destinations the flights aren't always a good deal.

Here's a exerpt from a previous post I made on the matter. While it doesnt deal with the higher fees(not sure if all of them are mandatory, i know the wifey keeps buying this stupid travel insurance which drives me bonkers, sure on a expensive vacation go for it, but for a cheap trip home it ain't work it) but at those savings the extra fees still don't decrease the value enough to make flights a poor choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
This is almost always incorrect. Assuming you plan on buying both the DVD player and the flight, barring seat sale you will almost always save more money by paying for the flight with your airmiles.

For example, if i were to say want to fly to Vegas next Wednesday and return the following Tuesday even though I booked mid week when flights tend to be cheaper, the best fare from West jet is roughly 550$ round trip, and because it is "high" season right now, the flight would cost 3000(2250 during low season) airmiles. Which gives each airmile a value of 18.3 cents.

Now quite often you can find a fare sale to Vegas because of the large number of flights down there every day from various airlines, so lets look at the smaller routes where your choices are significantly fewer.

I burn my airmiles on a couple flights every year Calgary/Castlegar. The only flight is through Air Canada and costs 174$ each way, chances of getting any fare discount, negligible. Airmiles cost, just 1100 in the high season and 900 in the low season. This gives each airmile a value of 31.6 cents in the high season and 38.6 cents in the low season. This is actually a very cheap price for the flight as demand is down in Summer, the usual price this flight is at is 249$ each way, giving us a value of up to 55.3 cents per airmile during the fall/winter.

Last edited by Dan02; 10-22-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote