Thread: iPad for elders
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is possible.

The only obvious downsides that I can think of is that without a PC some things become more cumbersome or impossible. These might include:

- Having a way to move photos from a camera to a permanent storage medium.
- Having a place to backup the iPad and contents. iCloud backups would probably work, but there is a fee for more than 5GB. I assume this also would back up documents and media as well, but someone else would need to confirm.
- Having a PC that your iPad was previously synced to is the only way that I am aware of to reset your password on the iPad, without wiping your device, if you ever forget it. This wouldn't be a big deal normally, but if you don't have easy access to local backups, it might be a bit more annoying.
- Accessing optical/USB media becomes a lot harder
- Using an existing media library would require an external service to be fairly functional, like iTunes Match or Google Music.
- Acquiring new media would be pretty much limited to iTunes. Not a big deal for most people, since iTunes is pretty good.

You can remove and/or soften most of these issues by having a computer that she would be able to use at someone else's house, that her Library would exist on, and she would have access to do backups etc on.