View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #320
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well rugby has a bunch of problems at the grassroots level. It's a very small group of people who play and are interested. I don't know the situation with those clubs in particular (although Rams seem to have been struggling for years from my limited view outside), but most of those are basically newer clubs?
Rams made the finals in Div 1 last year. Red Deer has been around since 70's. I know that clubs are facing a crunch for palyers.

Quote:
I know that I loved playing club rugby, but it's an enormous time commitment for recreational rugby. Like Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday which turns into every weekend all spring/summer/fall. Then there are additional social things on top of that. I did love it, but I also love doing other things and that was difficult while playing.
I literally have this discussion over coffee today with a buddy that still plays, although he is younger, late 20's.

I actually think the season maybe to long. May to Oct if you go "all the way". That is your summer done and dusted.

For years, my summers were nothing but rugby. I wonder if the playing base would increase if they compressed the season, or reduced the games.

The game is the same (if not smaller) as when I started playing 30 years ago. There hasn't been growth, at least growth in the adult game. More young kids are playing, but as of yet the transition into seniors hasn't been there.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote