View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #420
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Will do.

I should probably take this time to point out that there will be a large military parade downtown on 8 Apr 17 to commemorate Vimy 100.

The parade will make its way from Mewata to Poppy Plaza on Memorial Drive, between 10th and 14th streets. Yes, the police will close streets off which will likely cause traffic issues. The parade kicks off around 1230 I think.
A contact in the regiment told me it will take place on or around Aug 22, so coincide with Hill 70 memorial. This is a battle in which a member of the same regiment, 10th CEF, received the VC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_W._Brown

Quote:
For most conspicuous bravery, courage and devotion to duty. After the capture of a position, the enemy massed in force and counter-attacked. The situation became very critical, all wires being cut. It was of the utmost importance to get word back to Headquarters. This soldier and one other were given the message with orders to deliver the same at all costs. The other messenger was killed. Private Brown had his arm shattered but continued on through an intense barrage until he arrived at the close support lines and found an officer. He was so spent that he fell down the dug-out steps, but retained consciousness long enough to hand over his message, saying ' Important message.' He then became unconscious and died in the dressing station a few hours later. His devotion to duty was of the highest possible degree imaginable, and his successful delivery of the message undoubtedly saved the loss of the position for the time and prevented many casualties.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote