View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 01:37 AM   #4
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
James Mirtle (formerly of the Globe and Mail) explains quite succinctly the state of the business and why he left the Globe and why his new endeavour with The Athletic is from his point the way to go. He's a great columnist, like Duhatschek and Johnson and could see the writing on the wall.

https://theathletic.com/40690/2017/0...has-a-paywall/

There has to be another way to get the coverage everyone is seeking. Like most things on the planet, the digital age is shifting paradigms and models of how we're used to the world functioning beneath our feet.

Thanks for this! I have looked into the Athletic and I am familiar with James Mirtle's work. Currently that site is too Toronto focused for me at the moment but I will agree that for the sports world, the subscription model may work out better.

It's a tough business that is killing the traditional media and very very few people are doing the investigative reporting for the things that matter. Sports in a lot of ways is entertainment but the more important factors such governments, taxes, budgets, important trials, product recalls and so forth.

I have always been a media news junkie myself and was always amazed at the lack of knowledge about lot of day to day stuff of life for a lot of my friends.

Friends buying new homes in area's that have documented chronic school shortages, taxes at all level of governments going up, what is happening with local and national politics etc. It's almost as if most people are clueless until it actually hits them in the face.

Anyhow I got a little off topic but I am sad to see some good people and hopefully the coverage of the Flames and other local sports stays strong in some capacity.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote