View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #40
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolleydodger View Post
Stay away from the LP-60. It's a poor table. If you want an Audio Technica try and find an LP-120. It is basically a Technics 1200 clone.

If you buy used you should almost certainly swap out the cartridge, and make sure that it has an tonearm with an adjustable counterweight and anti skating.

Don't even look at anything that is made by Crosley, Ion or Pyle. They all make steaming piles of crap.
I have both versions and think they are both great. I have the 120 at home and the 60 at my vacation home. Consensus seems to be direct drive is better than belt drive but it also depends how often you use it. Belts can eventually wear out but so far I've had no problems. There are people out there who actually think belt drive is better than direct drive which is interesting.

For the record, I do really love the 60. It does what it's supposed to do and is a great looking turntable. I've had no issues after many hours of listening.

And to answer GL's USB question...I bought these models because of the USB functions but have yet to use them. They certainly don't require a USB to work. Built in pre-amp so you can run directly into speakers if you wish. Of course an amp can be used though and preferred by most.

I was going to experiment with the USB converter and try to rip a big band Christmas album I was given onto my laptop and the iPhone.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post: