Thread: Radar detectors
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #21
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

TorqueDog's info is good. He and I communicated on this subject a few times. He's got his own driving issues that are specific to Manitoba.

Just want to note that even a good, expensive detector is only half-good, because it's defenseless against laser guns. Only a detector-jammer combination ensures some decent protection. I use Passport 9500ix, which has upgradable GPS locators and fairly effective X-band and K-band filters complemented by a 2-sensor Blinder HP system. Total cost including installation was approx. $1,300. In one year (25,000 km driven), my Blinder HP got activated three times, each time on HWY-1 in locations that practically encourage vehicles to move faster than the posted speed limit (at the end of the passing lanes between Lake Louise and Golden and on approach to Canmore just before the limit changes from 90 to 110). Going 20k over 90km/h limit gets you approx. $380 fine and 3-4 demerits. Going 120 in a 90 zone in BC gets your license suspended and vehicle impounded; so I think the system has paid for itself already. I am not advocating for speeding but often, especially on highways, you just go with the flow and if the flow is 100 or 110 in a 90 zone, it's difficult to slow down and block everyone else's movement. Just my $0.02...
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post: