View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #11
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overrated - Probably going to go with Brandon Hickey. I love, love his skating and he's physically strong, but I have a lot of reservations on his ability to play in a high-tempo game. Both at WJC and NCAA I have noticed he defaults to panicky glass-and-out play when pressured, and outside of a booming shot he hasn't shown any offensive creativity/skill. I think there's enough there to be a bottom pair defenseman, but I'm think he's more of a Darnell Nurse-type strong skating 3rd pair guy than a stud of any sort. Matt Bartkowski may even be a comparable, a guy who would do a lot better with a puck mover than as the puck-mover.

Underrated - Mark Jankowski. Yes, people might be ranking him higher than they did a year or two ago, but those same people are only doing so because they think he's an NHL-ready bottom sixer, rather than because he's a great prospect. It's natural to be skeptical of a 22 year old still playing in the AHL but for some reason people have put a 3rd line ceiling on him. When I watch him play I don't think "oh, he could be a good 3rd liner". I see a player who could be playing with Gaudreau and Monahan on the power play, who could be taking up Mikael Backlund's role at evens, and does all the little things, offensively and otherwise, to win games. I'll go even further - his ability to retrieve pucks with his reach, skating, strength, and coordination, and fire them on net on the PP could someday make him our most dangerous PP QB.

Dark Horse - David Rittich. I am a tad bit concerned he might sign in Europe based on his season-end interview, but if he's back, I see a polished, high-upside guy on the verge of stealing a spot.

Dark Horse 2 - Emile Poirier. I said back around November that despite his unimpressive numbers, Poirier was playing like a guy Vegas may want to take in the draft. His game fell off after that, and now we know why, but the ability is definitely there.

Dark Horse 3 - Eetu Tuulola. He has one skill that is very hard to come by in the NHL - being able to generate dangerous shots on goal. Really impressed me during preseason.

Dark Horse 4 - Andrew Mangiapane. Kid is a tank, he's not undersized by any means and he sneaks in to shoot hard and quickly.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 06-16-2017 at 05:15 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: