View Single Post
Old 06-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #15
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube Inmate View Post
Why?

I came here to post how awesome it is to see CFL back on grass... But apparently I'd rather find out what your concern is.
As I said earlier, from the CFL perspective the Argos moving to BMO is absolutely fantastic. But from the soccer perspective, there's good reason to be annoyed. Since I support both (albeit I support soccer to a much greater degree), it's a lukewarm scenario for me.

BMO Field was originally built to serve as the National Soccer Stadium, even though there was talk for some time in the early 2000's that a multi use field would host both sports. When the Argos backed out of the York University deal in the mid 2000's, BMO was built specifically for the U-20 World Cup. In a country where we have so few of these soccer specific facilities it's disappointing to see one paid for with public funds become multi use, even though it was really inevitable from the start that it would become multi use.

The big concern from the soccer perspective is how the playing field holds up over the course of the year. So far, looks pretty good, especially when you compare the pitch to stadiums in Houston and Dallas that were built for soccer and host high school football as well. And if it holds up into October and November then any concerns I have will go away.

Anyways, I don't want to turn this into a soccer vs. football pissing match.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote