View Single Post
Old 10-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #16
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, well first here is how things are for kids. They're really aren't specific kits for them like you might see with spin fishing kits. What a lot of companies are doing is going with lighter weights for kids and starting them out that way. So in fly fishing the rod/line is graded by weight which basically run from 1-9. A one weight is super light and a nine is really heavy. Its partly the weight of the rod itself, but applies to the lines as well. So you generally fish a 5 weight line with a 5 weight rod. Sometimes as a beginner people fish a weight higher than the rod, just because you get a little more control and its a little easier.

So with kids the issue is that you want a light enough rod that kids can handle it and enjoy themselves, but not so light that they will struggle to land decent sized fish. If they latch into 16" trout on a 1 weight that might just end in disappointment! So the lightest we carry is a 3 weight and while its light enough for kids (their arms won't get tired), you can still bring in a decent sized fish and you can fish in the smaller streams around Southern Alberta just fine. These are 8'6" rods, and in all honesty my kids fish with these and catch fish. I wouldn't say they're good at casting or anything, but they can handle them. They use bigger rods and can handle them as well. So I don't know if that really helps on the kids front, but hopefully that gives you the lay of the land to some extent?

As far as you and the Whisper, I could take you out with a "demo" and you can give it a shot. I can really show you each and you can have a look at the differences and what you think.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: