View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #1250
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was with Shaw for years but switched to Telus at Christmas time.

The HD channel selection on Telus is much better than Shaw now.

The only time I haven't been able to watch something because it wasn't available on Telus but was on Shaw was the WHL playoffs. That won't be a problem going forward because Shaw is shutting down their local community channels that carried WHL hockey.

It's nice to have access to all the Sportsnet regional feeds in HD for the rare few times that they have different content on the different channels. Having access to the Eastern feeds for HBO and The Movie Network is great, especially with Game of Thrones starting. Now, I can watch GoT at 7:00pm instead of waiting until 9 and potentially being spoiled by reading something on Twitter.

I've had to reboot my PVR a couple of times because it started acting wonky. That wasn't a major hassle. I had similar problems with Shaw every once in a while too. Other than that, I haven't had any issues using the tv box or the PVR.

There are a few things about the Shaw interface I prefer to Telus, but they're definitely not dealbreakers.

I was on an old grandfathered plan with Shaw, so I had their slowest speed internet (that's the main reason I switched since they wouldn't let me keep my old tv plan and just upgrade my internet). I can't really compare the quality of the internet service. Going from 10 to 50 was a marked improvement. Telus doesn't offer 150 speed in my neighbourhood yet, but I honestly don't know how much better it could possibly be for me. The most data-intense thing I do is watch Netflix and I don't ever have any issues with lag or dropouts. If I had a big family and everyone was streaming constantly, I might notice an issue, but for me alone, it's no problem.