View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

It is quite common and IMO one of the major distractions of these discount brokerages.
If the timeline you state is correct, it was done wrong (again IMO)
I just had a case like this and explained in advance to the buyer that I show them every single property whether I am being offered a penny or 3.5/1.5. What I do ask is that before submitting an offer, I get permission to ask for the same commission I receive on over 90% of my deals.
The client had absolutely no problem with it and had done her own research on the different types of representation you can get as a buyer.
We ended up writing on a property that was a discount brokerage and I went after the full commission before any offer was brought to the table. This allows me to make it clear that the commission is irrelevant to negotiations and I do not want to hear it brought up during negotiations (as the OP's realtor did giving different options).
The seller agreed, we submit our offer and the seller was willing to budge 0.25% off their purchase price. We laughed it off knowing they will never get that and moved on.

Technically speaking, the buyer brokerage document that is to be signed before the realtor and client go out will outline what that realtor is making in commissions and if there is a short fall, it is the responsibility of the buyer. I have my own views on this document and I will keep it to myself.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com