Thread: Path of Exile
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaniel View Post
I have logged well over 35 hours into this game and to those saying not engaging, bad graphics have not even downloaded and played it. Each area is Randomly generated and Unique. The Skill system and Passive Skill system is complex and fantastic. You get to pick how you want to build your character, but whatever I will just enjoy it myself. Was trying to pass along the info, but if you think bashing a game without even playing it or playing it Months ago is an equal representation then Diablo 3 is your game.
You ASKED us what we think. I told you what I think.

Also, bolded part kinda showcased exactly what I meant by the hype for the game being based on criticism of an unrelated game.

After my post I downloaded and gave the game a shot. Graphics are truly terrible - I don't care if it's free or not, it's 2013 not 2006. Edges are jagged, colours are washed out and very brown/grey. The animations made me cringe. Not a great aesthetic.

They use the old, tired mechanic of potion chugging. They apparently spruced it up different type of potions sure, but we all know that there is going to be a set type of potion that is the mathematical best. 98% of the variety will be useless. Potion chugging is pointless (not saying other games do it better, but I for one HATE this system).

The "deep" talent tree is laughable. It's an overly complicated method of giving your character passive bonuses to skills. There is absolutely nothing in there that gives your character any sort of definition or uniqueness. Talent trees should be about talents and skills, not about giving your character +5 to attack 100 times over. I looked at that tree and saw endless hours of boredom grinding along preset paths just trying to eek out another +1% to some random attribute.

The ONLY thing that I liked about PoE was the gemming system. The gems get leveled up and provide pluggable skills. And those gems can be combined with other gems to create combos - this part intrigued me, but not enough to overcome the failings of everything else.

I'll probably give it another go when it's out of beta, but it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Last edited by llama64; 02-02-2013 at 08:34 AM.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote