View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 05:19 PM   #42
gordo67
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
So, if someone asks for your bottles say no.

Your post is pretty ignorant of reality. My brother is the president of a small town minor hockey association and the amount of families struggling to cover registration fees at their current level is way up. No surprise there.

On any given team there will be kids who get dropped off in the family Range Rover and kids who only make it to the rink if someone picks them up because the parents both work and don't have a reliable car and every variation in between.

What do you think "Kid Sport and the like" does? Sit around like Scrooge McDuck swimming in gold coins hoping somebody might need their help in a given year? No, they struggle every season to try to help as many as they can on a limited budget.

If you want the sport to become only for affluent people then sure, just raise the fees. Before any cash calls or fundraising, my son's registration this year was $1,200.00 for Atom. If it went up to $2,000.00 I probably could swing it but I know many who could not. By the way, if you are wondering, I have a Chrysler and a Kia...are those lowly enough to get a bag of empties?

Or, we could keep as many kids in the community playing this amazing sport by tolerating kids rolling up their sleeves and asking for some bottles once in a while (without putting any gun to your head and allowing you to just not donate anything). Oh the humanity!

$1200!!! What association are you from?
gordo67 is offline   Reply With Quote