View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #29
Bindair Dundat
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
I live in Fort McMurray and have for many years so I've had a lot of experience on that road. There really is nothing wrong with the road, the problem is the fools that use it.

There is a whole lot more traffic on it than there used to be though and twinning it would certainly help, but the fact is it's not right now and you have to drive accordingly.

I constantly hear people from here bragging how quickly they can get to Edmonton. Someone says it's a four and a half hour drive and inevitably some idiot will pipe up with a "pfffff, I can do it in 3".

Young males with too much money, testosterone and bravado that feel invincible 'cause they make a hundred and fifty grand a year is the problem. That group of people - young males - are the highest risk on the roads, it's just a fact. Now put fifty thousand of them in a city with a whole bunch of money and one way out to go spend it. It just stands to reason that there is going to be a higher incidence of stupidity!

I have been passed numerous times up hills, around corners, in driving snow, etc. etc. etc. and it's usually some idiot in a super duty who thinks it just can't happen to him - a common misconception among that group or that he's just damned entitled to it 'cause he makes good money. The sense of entitlement that people up here have is a constant source of amazement to me! They sure think they really are a someone!

Without naming a certain group, you've got a whole bunch of twits up here who came from eff all, have no education, have never had a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of and all of a sudden they are literally showered in money. They're not smart - and by that I don't mean all of them! - but they weren't smart to start with and that's why they were never educated in the first place! The only difference is that now they have means. The money sure as hell doesn't make them smarter, just able to display their stupidity more openly.

Ahhh, now I've got started and could keep on ranting but I'll shut up!
You said it a little more eloquently than I did, but we're definately both on the same page here...

As a contractor doing business on the north side of Edmonton and the surrounding acreages, I do a lot of driving on single lane highways; some of the things I've seen over the years...?

I was almost killed by a "drifting semi", two years ago on Highway 37, while doing a job out in Ft. Saskatchewan. I took the ditch and the trucker managed to keep it on the road, but it was way too close for comfort.
Lots of "bull balls" on that particular highway too...

Also lots of slow moving agricultural traffic.

A very dangerous combination.

Maybe we need to twin 37 as well?

What a travesty...how dare those nasty politicians.

The intersection at Namao (with Hwy 28) is usually good for at least one multi fatality accident a year.

Sad situation with what transpired here, but looking at the scene? That's wholly on the idiot that decided to go ahead and attempt to pass.
Bindair Dundat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bindair Dundat For This Useful Post: