View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
But Dan, in your examples you make no mention of the fees that Airmiles charges over and above your points redeemed.

Using your $174 savings example, if they charge you $90 in fees, then you only save $84, so those miles are work 9.3¢ each. And this thread is all about the fees that A/M charges.
thats why i said

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan02
no flights are by far the best value, just not to the common destinations.

If i may use the last example, total fees including their insurance despite my protestations, was around 220$, costing 1800 airmiles. To purchase return tickets on this flight would have been 996$ plus 163$ in fees. So the fees are roughly 60$ higher on this flight but they included airmiles insurance for if you were to cancel. So my net savings was 939$(roughly) for 1800 airmiles or 0.52$ value per airmile. Currently this flight would only cost me 728$ resulting in a after fee value of rouhgly 0.37$ per air mile. Much better value then anything you can get in terms of merchandise.

I don't think you get your moneys worth on any of the popular routes like CGY/VCR/EDM but if you're flying on the small jets(Tango) to destinations that one have 1 flight per day you can save a ton of money even after fees are included.

Last edited by Dan02; 10-22-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote