View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
This is my issue with the attempt to qualify a subjective thing like grit. There are obvious issues such as home arenas skewing numbers in favor of home team and how hits, blocked shots, etc. aren't definitive of of things like grit and success.
To me it passes the smell test.

I had identified Cammalleri, Hudler, Tanguay and Cervenka as small skilled guys that did not play hard... bump people over, win puck battles.

The stats and my analysis support what I see when I watch the game.

If they did not publish or highlight scoring stats I would still be able to say from watching that Iginla and Cammalleri score more goals than average. Tanguay would appear to set up more goals than other players. Keeping scoring stats just confirms this.

The RGI also provide me with a degree of comfort (hope) that Baertschi and Brodie will not be a grit liabilities as I had feared. It also helps me understand why some people are not enamoured with Glencross. He is not playing as consistently hard as he did 3-4 years ago. I have been stuck with the impression of him being a very gritty player. The RGI shows that he does indeed take too many nights off.

It also shows that with so many non-gritty players the Oilers will not be successful. I felt this was their problem but the RGI off so many important players less than 1 is a useful illustration. If Lowe and McTavish read this thread they might get a clue as to what they need to fix their team.

Feaster and co already has done a similar analysis and the Flames will not be as easy to play against this coming season.

Last edited by ricardodw; 08-23-2013 at 09:18 PM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote