View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #23
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
How often should I go for check ups? Should I go annually, or is once every 2 or 3 years ok? I used to go every year or so, but it's been almost 3 years since my last appointment. I should really make an appointment, but I've just been too lazy about it.

Oh, and is it true that watching TV in the dark doesn't actually contribute to my eyesight getting crappier, and that the reason for glasses / contacts is due to the oval growth of the eyeball?
Your first question was answered above.

It is myth that watching TV in the dark makes your eyes worse. It may give you a headache however. Genetics play the biggest role in determining your prescription. However, environment does have a role. If you spend most of your day doing stuff at near, then your eyes are going to try to make themselves better at near (ie. become nearsighted). If you are genetically pre-disposed to be nearsighted then that effect can be greater.

As for the oval growth of the eye. There are two components that make someone farsighted or nearsighted (or Astigmatic). 1) Refractive: shape of the lens/cornea and 2) Axial: Length of the eye.

Essentially nearsighted eyes focus the light in front of the retina due to either being too long (axial) or having to close of a focal point (Refractive). Vise-Versa for Farsightedness.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post: