View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #71
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I fully intend to have mortgage debt until the day I retire. I have a hard time saving but seem to be a lot more motivated to pay down debt. As soon as I am getting close to being debt free I will borrow more money to sink myself again.
It probably sounds ######ed but for me it is forced savings. If I tried to put away $2000 a month into an investment account I would likely find myself making excuses and saying only $1500 this month and I am going on vacation next month so I can skip one payment. With a loan payment I couldn't imagine missing a payment so I always make them. The big key here is that when I borrow money I use it to top up RRSP/TSFA accounts and the rest goes into the cash investment account.
A truth in life that I have discovered is that expenses will try to expand to fill available income. So essentially, I am happy in my current financial situation and know that spending more money will not likely make me happier. As such, I hide the money from myself in the hope that future me will find a way to make the money increase his happiness level.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote