View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #57
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I think we need to stop reporting these the way we do to keep perspective.

Caveat: I understand we can't for many reasons, I just think we need to.

By making this world renowned news, it moves needles in policy decision towards ideas that are reckless, bad for world peace, and not based in fact.

By making this small act a large message, you embolden those with messages we don't care to hear. This wasn't hard to do, nor was it particularly deadly. The effect was perfect. Some sound bites from world leaders and more pressure to "act".

In reality, more people in the US have died because of climate change. More have died because of the opiate crisis. More are dying because of vaccine preventable diseases. Hell, more people probably died of heat stroke in the last year on the Champs Elysees. There's literally thousands of things to be preoccupied with over this. This shouldn't move any needles.

Not only is this not something to be "terrorized" over, it's not worth discussion.
This is a great post and this viewpoint needs to be talked about WAY more.

Cable news's obsession with false equivalencies (ie having equal numbers of Trump supporters and normal people with a brain on a panel) falls apart when it comes to these situations. All of a sudden we get nothing but "experts" who trot out the same thinly veiled hate speech.

It's so frustrating. This was a murder. There are 1500 murders a month in the US. Why don't they look after their own house before feeding hatred towards the Muslim community?

White person kills someone = murder and no one cares.
Brown person kills someone = terrorism and it's front page news all over the world.

It is an absolutely ridiculous double standard.

Edit: I should add that of course no western outlets care when Muslims kill each other. But how dare they attack a white person, let alone a police officer! So frustratingly ridiculous. The news media should be ashamed, and they are complicit with the rising levels of hatred in the world.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

Last edited by evman150; 04-21-2017 at 10:07 PM.
evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote