View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #16
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The glass also used to be a lot shorter then it is pre net. I remember Kevin Lavalle (Sp>) who played for the Flames had a extremely hard and uncontrollable slap shot. It was literally like a machine gun, he would put 4 or 5 hundred mile an hour slap shots into the crowd on a straight line a game.

There was one game that I remember where he hit a couple of fans and for the next few shifts came out with a towel around his neck to throw to a fan in case he hit them.
Ha ha. The first NHL game I ever saw was at the Corral and he fired slapper that was deflected and went over the entire crowd and punched a hole in the Sprite sign on the wall. Not just any wall either, but the wall that was the actual wall of the building. If the wall wasn't there, the puck would have landed in the river.

The Corral was crazy. Kind of like an NHL game in a community rink with a barnyard smell and some extra seats. Randy Holt getting in a fight and you could reach over the glass to help him out!

Now that I'm admitting I'm an old codger... I saw hundreds of games in the Saddledome before anyone ever thought of putting the nets up. I don't remember anyone getting seriously hurt, and our seats were in the end that Al Macinnis was shooting at twice a game.

I ain't got nothin' against the nets and I don't even notice them now, but it's not like before they were there, people were dropping like flies.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post: