View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #80
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well I thought I would put a tapper on this thread for now.

Our season ended last Saturday with a loss in the city Div 1 semi finals.

While we finished the regular season with a 6-2 record and won the quarterfinal game and got to the semi final game, I can't help but think that I as a coach have to do a lot of self reflection on the results and ask myself some key questions.

the year before this one I had a fairly veteran offense especially in the backfield and I had a amazing determined athlete as my running back. We basically scored at will, and with experience came execution. That wasn't the case this year.

We had a rookie laden squad and it showed, I didn't have a lot of great elite type of athletes and it showed.

I found myself redacting my playbook down to the simplest I could, we didn't have a lot of what I would call fancy or deceptive plays, a rookie quarterback can't run it.

In the end I was down to about 10 plays total and was extremely run heavy.

So why the self reflection part.

Because I think as an offensive coordinator and coach I could have been a lot better.

So what are the take aways for me

1) I think I started with too much and then ended up pairing it down to extremely simple. Because of that, in the end we had a very unbalanced run heavy offense, and didn't maybe do enough to get our rookie QB comfortable enough on the passing game and the reads.

2) I didn't stand up for myself and what I was doing enough - With two games left in the season, they bought over a veteran coach from the defense, they bought him over because he had worked with offenses in the past. However he started asking me to make changes, and instead of sticking to my guns, I got over awed by his reputation and his past history and figured, he must know. Instead the execution really dropped and the errors increased. Next year if I go back, i think I have to take the stand that I'm the oc, I know this offense, and if its a adjustment that makes sense fine, but you'd better be able to tell me why.

3) I went against my own instincts in games, that was the worst part of this, I abandoned what I believed would work in the name of simplification of execution, so I wasn't attacking the defensive vulnerabilities as much as I should have, I was literally attacking our own execution and confidence.

Hey its only my second year of running an offense and third years of coaching with offense so I'm not egotistical enough to believe that I know it all, or I'm the smartest guy in the room, but at the same time, I have to and every coach has to be absolutely confident in their game plan and strategies and stick to their guns no matter how much pressure comes to bear.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: