View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 03:01 PM   #40
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I get that this is Stone's first UFA contract, but you look at the one he's on right now... a one-year deal worth $4 million per season. Is it possible that he might've signed it recognizing that he was swapping out term for higher salary? In that case, could his salary maybe go down ever-so-slightly in exchange for a longer term, like 4-5 years?

Remember, when his current contract was signed, he was anchoring the Coyotes' top pairing with Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Ever since, he's been hurt, scratched, traded, been hurt again, and played well for about 15 games in a second-pairing role. Unless he has an unbelievable playoff, is it really all that unrealistic to expect a possible decrease in salary to coincide with his role decreasing?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Michael Stone, but with all the troubles he's gone through this year, I'd think he might sign for ~3.5 for 4-5 years.
I think his UFA status will dictate Stone's value above and beyond how his past performance has been measured against his current contract. All it takes is for a few motivated parties to show interest in adding him to their roster. If he is indeed a second pairing defenseman, then I have to think that at 27-years-old he will be entertaining figures in the +$4.0 m range on the open market. Top four defensemen command a premium in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: