View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #25
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Yeah, he's had an off year but he's bounced back in Calgary to re-establish himself in a top four role. 27 years old, UFA, top four blueliners.. he's not going to take a pay cut.
I get that this is Stone's first UFA contract, but you look at the one he's on right now... a one-year deal worth $4 million per season. Is it possible that he might've signed it recognizing that he was swapping out term for higher salary? In that case, could his salary maybe go down ever-so-slightly in exchange for a longer term, like 4-5 years?

Remember, when his current contract was signed, he was anchoring the Coyotes' top pairing with Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Ever since, he's been hurt, scratched, traded, been hurt again, and played well for about 15 games in a second-pairing role. Unless he has an unbelievable playoff, is it really all that unrealistic to expect a possible decrease in salary to coincide with his role decreasing?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Michael Stone, but with all the troubles he's gone through this year, I'd think he might sign for ~3.5 for 4-5 years.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote