View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #626
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

That review doesn't read like a 7/10 to me (similar to what Raekwon said), but what meaning do review numbers have these days anyway? I'm sure he boosted his traffic before being DDoS'd simply by changing it from an 8 to a 7 perhaps, and not touching the content of the review.

Busywork? Which busywork? I can only think of cooking food, honestly. The sidequests are extremely optional in this game, and they thankfully aren't always accompanied by "we're going to die please save us!".

The weapon durability point Sterling makes isn't even that good of one, honestly. It works well if you're not doing the old RPG style "hold on to my best recovery items for later in the game, but end up never using them" problem. For example, I use multiple weapons to fight stronger enemies in BotW. Moblins are particularly susceptible to a combo of Frostspear to freeze them in place, and Edge of Duality to kill them. It also makes them last a lot longer, and switching weapons isn't too hard.

I was chatting with some friends about the game and was surprised to find I was doing the game "wrong" - I hadn't been to a single divine beast area in roughly 20 hours of play time. My friends were shocked that I hadn't gone to even one yet, but there were so many interesting things I found on my own, and I really wanted to explore.

I ended up spending a lot of time hunting down the dragon spirits ("shrine quests") and they would lead me to new areas that were lots of fun to check out. Some of my friends had already done multiple beasts but never been to the top of Mount Lanaryu, which blew my mind, but it blew their mind that I hadn't been to Zora's Domain, for instance.

I can't say there are many games that would lead so many people to have such different paths through the game. That's pretty special. It's also pretty telling how my wife and I are competing for TV time since the game came out, taking turns playing the game. That also hasn't happened for another game in quite a long time. Did we get swept up in the hype? I don't think so - I'm not huge on open world games, so I was expecting a similar experience to Skyward Sword where I get a fair ways in and then drop it, and my wife wasn't even planning to play the game. When she watched me play, she gradually got interested in trying it too, and now she's just as hooked as I am.

No game will appeal to everyone, but I think with my play time so far, the praise is deserved.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post: