View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #222
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Sorry, I meant if you took 20 random Canadian athletes vs 20 random American athletes, we would destroy them at soccer. Canadians are simply better at soccer than America. I know this because I was on the provincial team in the 90s, and we played the American team, and used to destroy them 20-1, 15-0, 17-3, etc.

The problem is Canada lets it's star players like Owen Hargraves play for other coutries, but America imports much of it's talent from the 3rd world.
Hmm...I played on the provincial team in the 90's too, and we certainly never played any American teams, and never even heard of team Alberta playing exhibitions against American teams. Maybe you were there before me, as I played in the late 90's, but that seems strange...and the final scores seem even more strange/hard to believe. UBC (back-to-back national CIS champs) have gone down to the states and beaten up on division 1 NCAA teams. They even beat the Vancouver Whitecaps in an exhibition game last year. It wasn't their full starting squad, but I would say half of them were...so where's the disconnect? You can even watch that game on the Canada West website.

Even still, youth success clearly doesn't translate into national success. A large part of it is that Canadian's have never had anywhere to go once they reach adulthood, outside of the CIS, or a couple PDL/NASL teams...and now a couple MLS teams.

On another note, it looks like Calgary might be getting another PDL team, or are at least trying to in the near future. Hopefully it doesn't fold right away again!
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote