View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default PUBG - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Is Pretty Good And Casual - Now On Console!

So PUBG came out last week, and there has been an explosion of Steamfriends playing this game. Decided to pick it up last night, and I gotta say, it's pretty great.

Who the hell is PlayerUnknown?

PlayerUnknown is the guy who made the ARMA 2/3 mod Battle Royale, and made the H1Z1 KOTK mode.

What kind of game is it?

100 players are dropped on an 18x18 km island in the middle of nowhere. The island is abandoned. There remain decrepit buildings, roads, and driveable vehicles, but most other infrastructure is crumbling.

Some kind/sadistic souls have left armor, ammo, weapons (guns and melee), and grenades laying around the island. Your job is to be the Last Man Standing.

As you would suspect, this kind of gameplay could lead to people camping in some remote-ass cabin all game and drag it out insufferably. To combat this, there is an artificial field whose radius initially surrounds the entire island, but as the game goes on, progressively gets smaller and smaller, until it's less than 1km in diameter. The typical round is 25-35 minutes.

What happens when I die?

You can opt to spectate your team (if they are still alive) or go join another game.

Team? I thought it's Last Man (singular) Standing?

Yep, you can drop with a squad of up to 2, 3 or 4 people. In Duo mode you fight against 49 other 2-man teams, and in Squad you fight 25 other 4-mans.

Early Access? Is it laggy/buggy?

Graphics are nice but could certainly be smoother. Movement is a bit janky (familiar if you've played Arma/DayZ/H1Z1), but gunplay is solid. Audio is spectacular and distant gunfire can make you break in a cold sweat.

How much is it? Where can I get it?

PC only on the Steam Store for $36 CDN.

Here's a few vids:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 12-13-2017 at 03:23 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post: