Thread: Game server?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

yeah, i am not sure what games you are wanting to play, but most online games i have ever played still require all the individuals to have the game installed but the server is what runs the actual room. for instance on half life games, everyone needs the files to play half life/counter strike and then there is a server that runs the room everyone connects to. generally the biggest hurdle to having your own server is the bandwidth speed required. but if you are only interested in LAN play thats not an issue. generally you need a good computer, but certainly not anything out of this world. i am sure a solid dual core with a couple gigs of RAM would suffice for the tech aspect. and then you would just need hard drive space that would accommodate whatever games you wanted. i used to have a counter strike server i would run from my home. it can be laggy for people though as most prodivers don't give you enough upload speed to handle all the traffic that is generated. like i said, thats not an issue with LAN though.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post: