View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 12:37 AM   #70
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb View Post
Here's the thing, though. the NBA is in numerous cities that when you include the surrounding area, are smaller than, or equal to Calgary, including Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, and New Orleans.

Keep in mind, Calgary wasn't what it was in the early 90's with it's sports franchises. A strong CDN$ along with a wealthy overall demorgraphic would likely allow Calgary to support a team, on paper at least.

Ok, I'll really stir the pot now

I predict Calgary could better support an NBA franchise (in the long run) than Winnipeg could support NHL.
I would have to disagree.

Sports, let alone basketball just is not the same in Canada. People are religious when it comes to sports in America. The solid fan base of season ticket holders and people who would go to the games here would be so small. Calgary is lucky we had a NHL run in 04, before that we could hardly support our hockey franchise... Hockey and Calgary seems to go hand and hand and the Flames where almost on the chopping block.... Good luck with an NBA team. Year one maybe would have half decent attendance due to curiosity, after that it would drop down and the team would be bankrupt going into year three. We come from a country where people just do not care as much for sporting events as other countries.

Last edited by drewboy12; 01-31-2010 at 12:43 AM.
drewboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote