View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #64
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
We may only be a playoff team with Hudler this year, but that's the first goal of any team, isn't it? Take him out of the picture and I doubt we make the playoffs.

Unless you're trading Hudler for Stamkos, it's a bad idea right now. Do not forget that Hudler was 8th in scoring in the entire NHL this year. 2 points behind Nick Backstrom in fewer games and 1 behind Seguin with a few more games. Again, unless you're trading him for one of those other names in the top ten, it's unwise to do so.

People are quick to assume that Hudler can't come close to this season again, but whenever people have doubted him he's risen to a higher level than expected. Not to mention he's still on a fantastic value contract that many hated when he signed it.

Again, trading him at this point is simply foolish unless you're getting a comparable player 7-8 years younger in return.
I think Hudler will equal this past season coming up, that's not the issue. I also think the Flames are a better team with Hudler this year, no question.

My problem is, I don't think they will be a contender this year with him, but I do think with the subtraction of Hudler, the addition of Frolik, the addition of Hamilton and the progress of the young guys, that we have a real good shot at the playoffs again, in fact I still think we are better than last year (and we will need to be just to make it).

For me the problem is Hudler has good value, and he won't fit long term as we won't be able to afford his dollars or term after this year, even with a hometown discount. So unless you really think we have a good shot at the cup this year, the better move is getting some assets that will contribute in a few years when this young team is hitting its prime.

You say you should never trade your best player, but both Iginla and Bouwmeester were our best players in their respective positions when we traded them, and I doubt anyone would say we aren't better off after those deals. In fact most would say we waited too long and failed to maximize value, and that's what we want to avoid with another very good player in Hudler.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote