View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #1350
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOGUN View Post
I just hope some of you guys give him realistic expectations and stop comparing him as "Toews-lite". Langkow imo is a more fair comparison.
There isn't a set criteria as to what makes a comparison more fair or realistic. The people who are comparing Toews to Monahan have valid reasons for doing so - just as there are valid reasons for comparing Monahan to Langkow.

I can see why Toews is a comparable (and I'm not the biggest fan of that comparable btw) because Monahan is advertised as a two-way center, strong in the FO circle (although he isn't there yet with his faceoffs/defense), has a similar frame, and has similar demeanor and approach to the game. When people are comparing the two they're not necessarily saying Monahan is as good or as talented as Toews, but their styles may be similar. If you're looking at production between the two it is probably more accurate to compare Monahan's sophomore season to Toew's first season. Personally I think Bennett is a closer comparison to Toews because of his skating and intensity.

Overall Monahan was seen by most scouts as a projecting to be a top line center in his draft year and I don't see any reason yet why he won't reach that potential. As far as his lack of playmaking is concerned, I think a lot of that has to do with earning a spot in a lineup deprived of real goal-scorers outside of Cammalleri and Glencross, and by default Monahan became the next best finisher on the team. When he played with Baertschi and Hudler early in the season, he made some nice quality passes and only started to struggle when he paired with less talented linemates. He would have had a 20 goal/ 20 assist rookie season had he played with more talent. In the OHL he was praised for his passing ability and patience with the puck - that isn't simply going to disappear. IMO if he tops out as a 60 point guy that is still good numbers worthy of a first line center.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote