View Single Post
Old 02-22-2024, 04:32 PM   #48
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

In late 2005, early 2006 I weighed in at 275 lbs. I was overweight and out of energy.

End of summer 2006 I got sick and lost 35 lbs, but re-gained about 20 lbs. Due to that I was on a loosely planned mission to lose weight. My weekly game of pickup hockey wasn't enough so I tried lifting weights again. I couldn't get on track though. I did stop going to all-you-can eat buffets in 2006 when I got sick. Largely because I changed jobs and there was hardly any restaurants around my new office!

In 2007 my team did a weight loss challenge at work. I "won". I got down to 230 lbs. I plateaued there for a few years. I tried several workouts but just didn't stick to them. Then in November of 2012 came the life altering news. Diabetes.

I was at 225 lbs. when I was diagnosed. I didn't know how to manage my diet properly so I had completely cut out sugar for a little over a month. I dropped 10 lbs and fast! After finally seeing a dietician I was able to eat much more healthy and I got down to 205 lbs. 2013 I was also doing DDPYoga and throughout 2013 and 2014 I was leaner, stronger, faster and more flexible than I ever was. Then came an injury in 2015... Also, in spite of being diabetic, I found it was way too easy to manage my glucose levels. Cheats became more common and I have hovered around 215 lbs ever since then.

I'd get back on the DDPYoga and still keep good glucose levels but I wasn't as dedicated to my diet as I initially was. My yearly year-end hockey injury prevented me from being as dedicated to DDPYoga as I was hoping to be.

That healthy version of me in 2013/2014 is a distant memory. Frozen shoulder hit me in 2021. I was in constant pain until I finally got cortisone shot. 2022 was getting better and then 11 months ago I separated my shoulder.... just as I was starting to get into a good workout rhythm. Summer was bad diet and bad levels of activity for the 2nd time in 3 years. Now I'm between 225 and 230 and struggling to maintain good glucose levels and I can't seem to find time to be active.

I'm coming back though. An upcoming blood work and the follow up doctors appointment will likely give me enough motivation to get back on track!

I intend to cut out carbs, increase fibre and eat proper proteins. I intend to do DDPY 4-6 days per week. I'm old, out of shape and feeling terrible. In October when I hit the ice again people will notice that I'm faster and stronger!

Last edited by Buff; 02-22-2024 at 04:35 PM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote