View Single Post
Old 09-20-2022, 02:39 PM   #15
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Quite the opposite in my opinion.

Kids today have it so hard. Society as a whole has ratcheted up the baseline expectations of kids coming out of school to an almost unachievable level. I continue to be blown away by the resumes that come across my desk. Fantastic GPAs, numerous committees, countless volunteer activities, highly competitive in sports and activities, etc. It feels impossible for kids to get ahead.

And then there are sports. Kids specialize from such a young age that they've almost missed the boat by the time they're old enough to even know what sports they're interested in. Gone are the days of gifted athletes having balanced lives. If you're not training full time after school in lieu of a social life you don't stand a chance.

I feel bad for kids these days.
People continue to work much harder for less and less reward. The only generation that was ever given anything to them was the baby boomers. Just about any boomer with a job could afford a house. The value of those houses have now skyrocketed giving them immense wealth after having done no work for it.

If you compare work output and hours worked now vs 30 years ago, every metric shows people working harder now, and for much less absolute value.

Edit: As far as behaviour goes, young people seem much tamer now. I'm obviously not talking about people in projects in Chicago, but the kids I'm exposed to. We used to do awful things. We'd throw major house parties with 100+ people crammed into a rental property. The neighbours were relatively cool...and even then some jack *** would up the jerk level to an 11 by doing things like purposely smashing bottles or urinated on the neighbour's property.

Last edited by blankall; 09-20-2022 at 02:42 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: