View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #30
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It's not really that bad though. It would easily draw from Scarborough, Richmond Hill, Vaughan, Newmarket, Pickering, Ajax, Whitby and Oshawa. It's not at all like Glendale when you consider that the people here are hungry for another team and don't need to be convinced.
I didn't mean the Glendale comparison with regards to supporting a team there, I meant it more from the perspective of what happens if they don't get a team (Hamilton has been waiting 25 years for an NHL team in Copps).

If they get an NHL team to put into the new arena, there shouldn't be a problem, but look at the money the City of Glendale is willing to spend to keep the Coyotes there because they know that if the Coyotes leave, they'll be in even worse shape.

If I were a taxpayer in Markham, my concern would be whether the arena can be viable without an NHL team to call it home because you know the Leafs will fight hard to keep a second team out of the GTA (although, with MLSE's new ownership, their position may have softened with visions of big broadcast revenue dancing in their heads).