View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #105
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Literally nothing you said is factual. All innuendo; nothing substantive.
I dont see you offering anything at all. Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Blah blah blah. Show me Harper's resume before he became PM. Not exactly PM material either.
Quote:
Harper became involved in politics as a member of his high school's Young Liberals Club.[22] He later changed his political allegiance because he disagreed with the National Energy Program (NEP) of Pierre Trudeau's Liberal government.[23] He became chief aide to Progressive Conservative MP Jim Hawkes in 1985, but later became disillusioned with the party and the government of Brian Mulroney, especially the administration's fiscal policy[22] and its inability to fully revoke the NEP until 1986. He left the PC Party that same year.[24]

He was then recommended by the University of Calgary's economist Bob Mansell to Preston Manning, the founder and leader of the Reform Party of Canada. At that time Harper "didn't see himself as a politician", Mansell told CBC News in 2002, adding, "Politics was not his first love."[25]

Manning invited him to participate in the party, and Harper gave a speech at Reform's 1987 founding convention in Winnipeg. He became the Reform Party's Chief Policy Officer, and he played a major role in drafting the 1988 election platform.[25] He is credited with creating Reform's campaign slogan, "The West wants in!"[26]

Harper ran for the Canadian House of Commons in the 1988 federal election, appearing on the ballot as Steve Harper in Calgary West and losing by a wide margin to Hawkes, his former employer. After Reform candidate Deborah Grey was elected as the party's first MP in a 1989 by-election, Harper became Grey's executive assistant, and was her chief adviser and speechwriter until 1993.[21] He remained prominent in the Reform Party's national organization in his role as policy chief, encouraging the party to expand beyond its Western base, and arguing that strictly regional parties were at risk of being taken over by radical elements.[27] He delivered a speech at the Reform Party's 1991 national convention, in which he condemned extremist views.[28]

Harper's relationship with Manning became strained in 1992, because of conflicting strategies over the Charlottetown Accord. Harper opposed the Accord on principle for ideological reasons, while Manning was initially more open to compromise. Harper also criticized Manning's decision to hire Rick Anderson as an adviser, believing that Anderson was not sufficiently committed to the Reform Party's principles.[29] He resigned as policy chief in October, 1992.

Harper stood for office again in the 1993 federal election, and defeated Jim Hawkes amid a significant Reform breakthrough in Western Canada. His campaign likely benefited from a $50,000 print and television campaign organized by the National Citizens Coalition against Hawkes, although the NCC did not endorse Harper directly.[30]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephe..._and_education

This is the last time. In future you'll have to learn to do your own research. Otherwise I understand why your opinions are what they are, you only know what you're told.

And whats funny? I didnt much like Harper either, I thought he was a Dinosaur.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote