View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #111
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I started out in academics doing some research but quickly transitioned into teaching.

I spent a couple of years teaching until I'd had my fill and decided like many here that I wanted to work more with my hands. Because i already had some experience I started up in a machining shop as a blacksmith apprentice. This was a fun job but a terrible, terrible work environment.

A pretty serious workplace accident settled things for me and I've since gone back to using my brain instead of my hands to make the bulk of my living. 10 years ago I would have never imagined myself in a business development / operations management role but here I am.

It's less stressful than having to have eyes in the back of my head in a machining shop or up 5 stories of scaffolding, but it has it's own challenges.

They are all 'jobs' and a means to an end, but I have surprised myself how much i have enjoyed and been competent at business development. I'm inclined to believe that I'll continue to seek varied work experience over working in the same industry forever.

Growing up it was always the goal to get that job at that one company that you have for 30-40 years, but I have really enjoyed having such a diverse background to draw on; had I stayed in the same industry, I wouldn't have experienced the same kind of personal growth.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote