View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default BC Election - May 9th, 2017

I figured I would start a thread for this because BC and Alberta's political interactions/dependencies seem to be at an all-time high at the moment. Also there are probably enough British Columbians on this board that it will at least generate some discussion.

The election is exactly two weeks away and the race has been incredibly tight, with the BC NDP usually maintaining a 2-4% lead over the BC Liberals. However, today a poll was released showing the NDP has opened up a big lead. Currently the polls look like this:

NDP 44%
BC Liberals 34%
BC Greens 22%

Although that lead looks pretty significant, it's important to keep in mind how a) how badly the pollsters got the last BC election wrong, and b) how much Vancouver and the Island skew the results. The NDP could sweep the Island and most of Vancouver and and the Liberals could still end up with a small majority government.

That said, premier Christy Clark currently has an absolutely dismal approval rating of 30%, but both the NDP and Green leaders, John Horgan and Andrew Weaver only sit abotu 5-7% higher than her.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Clark at all. I think she's one of the more disingenuous, dishonest, and corrupt politicians I've ever witnessed. I'm definitely hoping for a change in government, but I'm not exactly thrilled with the other choices.

The one advantage that the BC NDP have over their Albertan counterparts is that, due to their history of "success" within the province, their ranks haven't been filled out by candidates that are lacking the requisite experience and qualification. The Greens, on the other hand, face exactly that problem.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: