View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #1195
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Alright CP, it's been 7-8 years since I last bought a TV and haven't really paid much attention to the market. But our old plasma is getting some lines of flickering, and we're thinking it's time for an upgrade.

A few points:
- Looking at 50" range, max budget $1,500
- Primarily watch Netflix/blu ray (We don't have nor want cable)
- Very occasional gaming. (Still have an xbox 360, no desire to upgrade)
- Zero interest in 3D

So a few questions I have:
- Where's the best place to buy TV's these days? (Best Buy, Visions, elsewhere?)
- What's the deal with 4K? I'm hearing conflicting things on if it's needed. Lack of content/bandwidth seems like it's not ready for prime time yet
- Best brands/brands to avoid? (We've had good experience with Samsung sets over the years)
- Recommended screen type, I'm thinking LED, but open to suggestions
How much do you actually pay attention to screen detail? If you're meh about that, $1500 probably buys you 2 TVs that will meet your needs and still leave you money left over for other stuff. I've seen 55" LED models going for dirt cheap. Everyone wants the latest and greatest 4K. That's fine, but if you don't need it, you'll have amazing options.

As for places to acquire, other than the ones you've mentioned, Costco isn't a bad option for purchases. London Drugs too. Good warranties.

https://www.costco.ca/televisions.ht...evisions_55-58

$1500 brings you into the ball park for a curved 4K TV at 55"
$900-$1100 for 4K
$1000 for a curved LED
$600 for a basic 55" Vizio LED TV

I personally don't think highly of the integrated smart TV features. They're inferior to the ones found in other devices IMO. Personally, if given the option, I'd take the money savings and buy an Apple TV or a Roku.

I honestly haven't heard of any specific brand of TV that fails more often than others in a while. It seems like all brands have a reasonably low failure rate. If you have a failure in less than 5 years, you're usually the guy with funky luck. Go buy a lottery ticket. I've heard of people complain, sure. But exceptionally few failure anecdotes.

I would suggest you shop on the following basis if you're set on a 55" TV:

- Budget vs Value
- 4K Yes/No
- Curved Yes/No

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-16-2017 at 02:35 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: