View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Looking to purchase a printer that will allow me to print my own photos - at a fairly high quality.
I'd like to be able to do up to at least 8x10 size.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
Pluses/Minuses?
Costs?
I had an Epson 3880 and used it primarily for 8.5x11 with the odd 13x19. Great printer. But, I used it as a dedicated B&W printer and loaded it up with various shades of grey.

Having said all of that, I sold it because it was expensive to run. Each ink cartridge (and there are 8) costs 80.00 and I found that I had to print almost daily to keep the nozzles from clogging. The workaround is to put a humidifier in the room, I suppose.

I had visions of actually using the printer to print others' photos but there was no way I could be competitive with the commercial outfits.

I also found I achieved the best results by using one type of paper and sticking to it. The various papers print differently so there was always this fiddling around with profiles and what not and not to mention making sure your monitor was calibrated so that what you saw on the screen showed up on the paper.

I do miss the convenience, though. I also miss being in control of the ink and the paper.