View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #1010
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
He has a strategy of doing things to dominate the media cycle. It's all about him. It's taking the front few pages of news away from detailed analysis of his plan, transition team, or whatever is a risk for critique at a given moment. And he's signing orders on items that he campaigned on, building a narrative he'll point to throughout his presidency.

So go ahead and call it dumb luck, dismiss all his voters as uneducated hicks, and 36 months from now you'll still be waiting for it to fall apart.
Sure, his strategy of dominating the media cycle is brilliant and he became president after all so it's not wise to underestimate him. I think his only plan though is self-aggrandizement and others will now take full advantage of this.

The GOP was basically backed into a corner at the convention. They had to accept him and try to negotiate what they could. I think they got Pence and Preibus, acceptance of their social agenda, and an agreement to not veto certain key bills. He got to run for president. They couldn't risk rejecting him and alienating the base he built up and they also knew that Cruz or whoever else didn't stand a chance in the general. Trump was like a hail mary that worked.

But now the GOP establishment holds all the power. They have the hammer of impeachment if he gets too far out of control. They just have to thread the needle of keeping him and his base happy and themselves looking reasonable and productive to the general public. Congress views itself as equal to or even more powerful than the president and I think Ryan and McConnell, etc are way too smart to let Trump just walk over them.