Thread: Alcohol Pricing
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
So buying booze the last few times I've noticed that for some strange reason the larger the bottle the worse the deal you get, contrary to what common sense would dictate.

While it may not ring true for all brands, the ones we've looked at have all been the similar.

For example today we were at a Superstore liquor store. In terms of per mL prices.

26s were cheaper then 40s and 40s where cheaper then the 1.75Ls, So in the end we ended up walking out with 6 26s, whereas in the past we would have bought a few 1.75Ls and been happy.

Does anyone else here even bother checking these sort of things before purchasing?
Do you stock a bar at home or was this just for the evening?

When I'm buying hard alcohol I usually do the math in my head and only by the bigger size if it's a noticable discount. I find that from a 750 mL to 1.5L there might be sometimes, especially if there is a sale. For instance I once picked up a 1.5 of spiced rum for 29.99, only 4 bucks more expensive than the 750 mL. It's not always this noticable, but sometimes you get a deal.

But as you mentioned, this is not always the case. I've never bought any of those really big bottles, so I have no idea on the price point/discount.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote