View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:
Default Landlord question

Hey all,

We rent, and the condo board is requiring home owners to be home from 9 am to 5 pm on a Wednesday to do a fire alarm inspection. As we both work full time jobs, this is impossible for us.

Our landlord has made it clear they feel it is our responsibility, we feel it is theirs.

Wondering what peoples thoughts are on this. Our lease states the below and our Landlord's interpretation is that this means we are responsible to be home for these hours:

Quote:
Tenants agree to fully comply with the rules and regulations set forth by Management or the condominium association and the bylaws of which form part of this rental contract
To show we are trying to work this through, we have:
  • contacted the property management company - they will not take a key from us. They will not let us sign a waiver removing them damages if they take a key from us
  • don't know neighbors - units on either side are empty and for sale, across the hall was evicted a while back and we don't know the new people
  • haven't got a hold of the condo board to see their thoughts. They stopped taking keys from units a while back and we can only work through the property management company to speak to them

We may actually be looking for a cheaper lease as the Landlord raised it 2 years ago and we haven't received any discounts in this downturn. It is sort of awkward to bring up now.

What are people's thoughts? Am I in the wrong?

Thanks for any comments!

Also -

We are on a 2 month rolling lease - but you need to notify by the end of said month or that month doesn't count - so I am getting prepared on Aug 31 to give notification as I am annoyed and feel we are paying too much.

Last edited by Kavvy; 08-29-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote