Thread: school me in 4k
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #94
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Just measured, and I sit 15.5' away from my 50'' TV. According to your charts, there should not be a visible difference between 480p and 2160p.
Wrong - at 15.5' from your 50", your 1080p screen is indistinguishable from a panel of the same quality in 720p. That's still far, far better than a 480p feed. There is absolutely going to be a difference between a 640x480 resolution and a 1280x720. One is HD and the other isn't - it's literally three times as many pixels. So of course you see a marked difference. What you wouldn't see a difference between is a movie shown in 720p vs one shown in 1080p.

That doesn't even take into account the broadcast quality, which obviously varies based on what the network is putting through to you - even "HD" cable channels are often compressed until they're pretty much garbage, and the SD are even worse.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote