Thread: Dash Cams
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #46
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just pulled the trigger on the Ojocam Pro 2: http://www.ojocam.com

Several people on another Calgary-based forum (PM me if you want a link) have bought one and are happy with it, as well as the seller's service. You can order it with either the cigarette lighter adapter, or a hardwire kit.

It's also best to get a microSD card from Ojocam, as apparently some high-end Class 10 cards have issues with this camera. The seller stands behind the Samsung micro SD's that he supplies, though. And as you visit the website, you'll see popups for either a 20% or 25% discount code. You have to be patient, but the 25% off banner appeared for me as I moved between pages.

The camera with the hardwire kit + a 32GB microSD card, including my 25% discount, was $126.75 USD. Shipping is free by USPS (not UPS) from California.

I have one of those eBay cameras that I spent about $60 or $70 on originally, shipped from China. It still works, but the power adapter is annoying, so I want something hard-wired. Plus, the Ojocam records at much better quality, and it also has GPS.

As for the "do you really need it?" argument...I only bought it because I thought it would be a nice toy. But two years ago, I was rear-ended by an idiot who sped up after I signalled a lane change. My car was hit on the rear-right quarter panel, and when I showed the damage to a friend of mine who's a police officer, he said that I might be found at fault for an unsafe lane change. I showed the video to my insurance company...while it was pointing forwards and didn't catch anything, you could tell when the point of impact was due to the sound, and the camera shaking. At the point of impact, the video showed that my lane change was complete, and that I was just in the process of straightening my front end. Insurance found me not at fault. Best $70 I ever spent!

I was also hit by a hit-and-run driver last winter...that person was eventually found and charged by the police. My dashcam wasn't plugged in at the time (see note above about annoying power cord that I want to hardwire!), but if it was, it would have made the process SO much easier.

I haven't received the Ojocam yet, as I just ordered it. But I can post here again when I do, if you guys want.

EDIT: The Ojocam Pro 2 (Mini 0803) is also available from CanadaDashCam...for $189.

http://canadadashcam.com/collections...i-dash-cameras

Be warned, there are a lot of bad clones and cheap knockoffs of this camera out there. Buy it from Ojocam, it's seriously the best bang for your buck. Again, PM me if you want to know more, I'm just not sure if I'm allowed to post links to the other forum that I mentioned. Most of you can probably guess which one it is...and if you do, just search for "Ojocam" there. Tons of valuable information.

Last edited by Stealth22; 11-13-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote