View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #94
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
And I believe the counter-argument was, so what?

If we want to stop this slippery slope we should take Marriage away from couples of the opposite sex, no? Ever since couples of the opposite sex have been able to get married the gays have wanted it as well.
hey...i dont care either way, but the point was that it would open things up...and it has, obviously.

The problem originally argued was that this would happen and where would it end? Do we know that or will it always come down to "it doesnt affect me so i dont care". If so, that is weak sauce if there ever was one, because the courts will be tied up with every single little initiative fringe groups think they can argue successfully. people then said..."thats such a stupid argument it has no bearing on what is being discussed now", well that is now being proven wrong.

Again, personally i could care less....i still believed then as i do now that SSM needed not be the issue it became if there was a little bit of compromise from the gay rights side. Civil unions would have the exact same effect overall as calling it "marriage". I dont give a rats ass what anyone who lives with/marries/dates anyone else calls themselves or their situation, but i do know that there has got to be an end to where courts are forced to rewrite laws based on fringe groups demands.