View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #291
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion, you take BPA regardless of position.

When you have two players that are equal, always take the defencemen.

Tkachuk was a clear cut above Juolevi IMO. I also had Juolevi as my "I hope the Flames don't draft him" thinking that Tkachuk was going to go to Vancouver. I am not high on him at all - and it isn't coming from a hater from a rival fanbase, as I really like Horvat and Boeser, and think Goldobin and Dahlen were excellent returns on the deadline trades. Kid doesn't have that 'compete' in him from my viewings, and it has been a knock on some of his scouting reports. Sergachev is just as good at being a puck moving offensive defencemen, but he has a higher compete level and provides his team with some physicality. Ditto for Chychrun as well. It would be one thing if Juolevi was simply a stronger puck mover than the other two, or was a much better defender, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I am not at all impressed with his draft+1 year too. He didn't take a step forward. I would argue that Mete on the London Knights has taken a noticeable step forward. Definitely not the quality of defencemen as Juolevi, but the point is that he has taken a noticeable step forward and is out-producing Juolevi.

Though Tkachuk and Juolevi are playing different positions, Juolevi is in his draft+1 year playing in the OHL as an offensive defencemen. Tkachuk is outproducing Juolevi in his rookie year in the NHL - more goals and just as many assists.

I would put money on Juolevi making the NHL - I think he is smart enough and definitely has enough tools - but I don't see him any higher than as a 2nd pairing defender. I wouldn't have spent a 5th overall pick on him. I used to like him a lot until about the halfway point of his draft season where I read a scouting report, and noticed after watching him for a bit that it was true that he lost too many puck battles in the corners. I used to think that Juolevi was the most like TJ Brodie, but Brodie had a healthy dose of compete in him, even if he doesn't play physical.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote