View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #27
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Kindergarten is all about distractions, I think sometimes we take normal kids behavior in a chaotic social environment and want to attach medical conditions to it, or mental conditions to it.

When I was that young I would have been hopped up on so many pills that I would still be a zombie. Once I learned the words to the song Valley of the Dinosaurs, I was bellowing that out at the top of my lungs for 8 hours a day for a month.
Yep. I was considered a 'Hyperactive' kid. Now what do they call it? ADD? ADHD? And then it has about 15 sub-categories so they can rape you with 15 repeat visits?

Anyway, the doctor put me on an industrial dose of Ritalin, and it turned me into a total Zombie drone. It broke my parents heart, and they took me off of it once they realized what it was doing to me. So then I turned into the Natural Peanut Butter / Carob Kid. That was probably worse. All the other kids got Hot Chocolate, and I had my mushy, warm cup of regurgitated fake chocolate, and peanut butter that looked like someone chewed up peanuts and spit them on the bread..lol. And it always took explaining..lol. All the other kids would come over and look in my thermos cup like it was some sort of Science Experiment, then make fun of Carob kid, then we would go out in the snow and make explosive diarreah sounds as we threw it in the snow. Ahhhh memories.

But I digress. My old man has always said in his opinion "You weren't hyperactive, you were just an outspoken a-hole that always had to be the centre of attention." And I agree CC. Sometimes it almost seems Orwellian, that a kid that is outspoken, or super energetic is considered to have a 'disorder' per se, and that has always bugged me. Maybe he is exactly that, just a junior jerk.

Can I wander a little off topic at times? As per the above...yeah. Do I sometimes bite off way more than I can chew? Sure. Do I have issues concentrating with work sometimes?.... yep. But that is just who I am, and how I roll. With all of those downfalls there is a ton of upside to being a total OCD, scatterbrain , whirlwind, clusterfata...and it is who I am. I think moulding children's behaviour can be very dangerous in their future development, and cause potential harm, and regressed feelings in adulthood. I can look back at being Carob kid and laugh now. I don't think I would be laughing it my parents had followed doctors orders, and my entire childhood was a forgotten, doped up blur. I would certainly have issues with that.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote