View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default New CPHL Website - Feedback/Brainstorming/Help

We had a thread last year that touched upon the need for an updated CPHL website. I've started to tackle that, but need help.

Here's a teaser of what I have so far...
Spoiler!

It's far from done, but that's the rough, basic shell and layout of the menu portion of the home page.

Questions:

- Do we even want a new logo?? The one I used in the above example was made last year out of boredom. If anyone wants to whip up something else, I'm be more than happy to use theirs too, or we can stick to what we currently have now.

- What would you like to see on the website? I have about 16 pages created so far, with many more to come, and there's some I omitted, like the History (not the bio part), Transactions and Articles pages. Only because they didn't seem to be updated recently, but I could add them if we'll use them. I'd love input here on what changes you all would like to see though. Items/pages to add or trash, etc.

- I'd love help in updating the text found in parts of the existing website, like the History and Rules sections. Those are both pretty outdated, and all I need is the updated text and can throw it into the new page.

- Although I'm a graphics/Photoshop junkie, I could use some help there too. The main header (if we use that logo) would need some special touches to make the 1400x400 pic nice and funky. I'm looking at you, Doug. Your graphic skills are far superior than mine, and I love the Canes content (Ex 1, Ex 2, Ex 3) you've created on here. There's other stuff we'll need, like new team page headers, icons, etc, so if anyone else is willing to lend a hand, I'm sure I'll eventually take you up on it.

- I'm using WordPress/WHM/cPanel to create this. This is all very new to me. Is there anything wrong with that or potential future problems that we'd run into by using WordPress?

- Coding Help Needed. This is the big one.
2 weeks ago, I knew absolutely nothing about customizing WordPress or creating websites. I've immersed myself in multiple YouTube videos and online HTML/WordPress tutorials to get what is done so far. (I'm looking to get into the web design/customization biz anyway) That stuff wasn't extremely complicated. This is the 4th website I've worked on but, by far, the most time consuming. I have ZERO knowledge or experience with coding though. There's quite a few pages that I'm guessing will require that, so if anyone is savvy in the field, I'd love your help there. Especially with trading/releasing players, waive/bring up player, and all those options.

The individual roster pages will be the most time consuming part of this, and I plan on linking the new sites pages to the existing ones. They aren't really that terrible anyway, imo, and it's the home page/layout that needs the primary attention. A lot of the pages (player and team stats, etc) is just linking to STHS generated URLs (I think?), which seems super easy.

Again, this is still very, very far away, but I wanted to get a discussion going on what you all would like to see.

Let the spitballing begin! Honest feedback welcome.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post: